Followers

Friday, March 16, 2012

Sheik Zayed Mosque








Following the Emirates Women Police Conference, we were able to spend a few days touring around the area. One of the amazing places we were able to tour was the Sheik Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, the 7th largest Mosque in the world. The "call to prayer" that happens 5 times a day, is broadcast through this Mosque, and is connected electronically to all of the other Mosques in Abu Dhabi, so the same "call to prayer" is heard throughout the Emirate.

All women needed to don an abaya (black, full body length covering Arab women often wear) and a sheyla (head covering) prior to entering the grounds of the Mosque. Both are provided at the Mosque; however, knowing I would be touring the Mosque, I had purchased my own head scarf prior to the tour. All who entered were given bags for their shoes, which remained off until we left the grounds. The Mosque and the grounds were breathtaking, and I enjoyed learning more about their faith. I only wish I could have found a booklet about the Mosque, as there were so many details given to us, none of us were able to remember them all. Enjoy some photos from the tour.